Info & FAQ
- What is the cargo bike?
- What are the advantages
- What can I do or transport with a cargo bike?
- How does borrowing work?
- What do I have to take into account?
- How/what can I contribute?
- Why should I become a rental station?
- How do I become a rental station and what do I need?
What is the cargo bike?
"The cargo bike" used to be just a single cargo bike that could be rented free of charge. In the meantime, "The cargo bike" has become a platform for the simple rental and borrowing of countless transport bikes. They help you to transport things, people or animals that you can't transport on foot or with a normal bike, but for which you don't need a car. - So for the vast majority of daily and non-daily errands and transports.
What are the advantages
- Borrowing cargo bikes costs you little to nothing.
- You don't have to find and pay for a parking space.
- You are often faster than by car because you can also use bikeway and are not stuck in traffic jams.
- Cargo bikes are very maneuverable, yet stable and easy to drive.
- You do something against the fine dust and for the environment.
- You're doing something for your fitness.
- You make a statement with a cargo bike
What can I do or transport with a cargo bike?
- The box of a larger cargo bike (e.g. Christiania) has the footprint of four standard beverage crate. You will find more detailed information by each cargo bike.
- You can load common cargo bikes with around 100 kg, but please check this at the respective cargo bike beforehand.
- You can transport children. - Please check beforehand whether the respective cargo bike is equipped with a seat and safety belts.
- For example, you can transport a washing machine or a television.
- You can get big plants for your apartment.
- You can get stuff from the DIY superstore for renovations.
- You can easily manage the transport to the barbecue site of your choice for the whole family or your circle of friends.
- You can get drinks for your party in a grand scale.
- You can give your pet an outing.
- You can buy a lot of cat litter during the cat-litter discount.
- You can use a cargo bike as a wedding carriage. - No kidding, we have photos! ;-)
- You can bring bulk rubbish to the collection point.
- You can transport sports equipment such as balls, air mattresses, inflatable boats, etc..
- You can just give it a try and cruise caround town without a load.
How does borrowing work?
Register, reserve, pick up. - It's that easy! At the rental station you get the key and you can start riding. At the end of your individual rental period, you bring the cargo bike back to the rental station on time, chain it up and return the key. Please pay attention to the opening hours of the rental station!
What do I have to take into account?
- Please bring a photo ID, so the people at the rental station can identify you.
- For your first time, take a spin on a lightly trafficked street or, better yet, an empty parking lot to get familiar with your new bike.
- Make sure that your things cannot slip or fall out of the transport box.
- Always drive carefully and not too fast.
- Pay special attention to other road users and pedestrians.
- Do not drive over edges such as sidewalks.
- Avoid streets with tram rails or make sure you don't drive into rails.
- Always park the cargo bike so that it does not obstruct anyone.
- Chain the cargo bike with the lock to a fixed object so that it cannot be stolen.
- We hope not, but if you are involved in an accident, please report it immediately to your rental station.
How/what can I contribute?
- You can lend your cargo bike or the cargo bike of your club or company. Simply register and click on "Add new transport bike" in the log-in area.
- You can leave a small donation at most rental stations, which goes towards service, repairs and spares.
Why should I become a rental station?
- It is a good advertisement for you or your business.
- You win cargo bike riders as new customers.
- You're doing something for the environment and your image.
- You meet new people.
- It costs you nothing, except a few minutes of time every day and, for bikes with auxiliary drive, a few battery charges of electricity, which you won't notice.
- You have hardly any effort and no liability or responsibility.
- Last, but not least: You can rent the bike yourself and have it already on site.
How do I become a rental station and what do I need?
You only need a parking space in or in front of your building. A garage or a roofed parking space would be great, but it doesn't have to be. What you should have in any case are regular opening hours. No matter if you are a trader, a restaurant, a craftsman, an office etc.: Just try it out! If you have any questions, please send us an email to email@example.com and we will get back to you.